A 12th century stronghold is proved to have existed. Between 1500 and 1530, Lancelot 1st Du Lac, chamberlain of Louis XII and governor of Orléans, undertakes the reconstruction of the old house of Chamerolles in order to turn it into a genuine pleasure castle according to Renaissance standards. The choice in architecture (polychromatic brick pattern, covered arcade...) takes on the well-known Louis XII wing of the 1500 Blois castle.
In 1672, Chamerolles belongs to Jacques Saumery. He is governor of the Chambord royal castle and the Blois county, marshall of the king's armies and grand master of Ile-de-France forestry. In 1774, the castle is handed over to the Lambert family and in 1924 to Gaston Jessé-Curély. Occupied, ransacked, despoiled during WWII, it is offered for sale in 1970.
In 1976 the CITY of Paris is in charge of Chamerolles. Neglected, the castle goes to rack and ruin. In 1987, this wonder of architecture from the 16th century becomes part of the Loiret Local heritage. The County Council then undertakes an ambitious restauration of the castle. Most of its attractive Renaissance look style has been restored. Nowadays, Chamerolles is dedicated to the history of perfume making and associated areas such as hygiene.